Saturday, January 2, 2010

New Year’s Resolutions

"Don't say you don't have enough time. You have exactly the same number of hours per day that were given to Helen Keller, Pasteur, Michelangelo, Mother Teresa, Leonardo da Vinci, Thomas Jefferson, and Albert Einstein."- H. Jackson Brown

I make New Year’s resolutions and although I seldom keep them perfectly, I do make progress. This year I wrote more than last year; last year I wrote more than the year before.

It helps if my resolutions are actually well-formulated plans. They need to be small, concrete, obtainable and measurable. Saying I am going to write more doesn’t work well. Planning to write for 3 hours, 5 days a week is specific and measurable. However, there was a time in my life that I could not do that. Now I do much more than that.

Pamela Peake said, “Failing to plan is planning to fail”. This year I committed to waking up early to write. This has made a huge difference. When I set my alarm clock to wake up at 5:45 a.m., I am telling myself I have a job to go to. This year I am going to move it up by 15 minutes every day until I reach 5 a.m. Having a plan is like having GPS. It helps me know where to start every day.

3 comments:

  1. Happy new year, Lucinda. I enjoy your blog so much I check for something new nearly every day. Keep up the good work.

    Kinney

    ReplyDelete
  2. In my first year of "retirement," the need for a concrete plan is a necessity. Beyond having a plan - a measurable plan - one must decide to actually implement the darned thing. That's my current hang up; and the basis for my "resolution" for this year. If I'm to be successful (as a writer or anything else), I'm gonna have to actually implement my plan.

    I enjoy your continued commentary and always look forward to reading it.

    Dave Delgardo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just curious as to why you chose 5:00 am to be your wake-up. I'm lucky if I get up before 8:00 to start my work day . . .

    ReplyDelete