Sunday, August 8, 2010

Public Speaking

The New York Times ran an article quoting a scientific study on why writers don’t make good speakers. It says that when we write, we use more of our brain. When we write, our thinking precedes our writing, but when we talk, we tend to just blurt. In other words, we speak without thinking, but when we write, we think before we write.

I agree with this, as I definitely speak without thinking. However, I have also been known to write without thinking. Hence, I have a policy of not responding to touchy emails without practicing some restraint. Twenty-four hours between bottle and throttle work for pilots; for me it is twenty-four hours between emails and send key.

As for public speaking, I have one word—Toastmasters. The most fun I have in my week is going to my local club. I can see huge changes in my speaking and listening skills. I do believe it is stretching me as a writer, too.

Anyone can visit their local meetings. Grass Valley has four clubs. Check out Toastmasters at www.toastmasters.org

No comments:

Post a Comment