Friday, September 3, 2010

Happy Labor Day

It is Labor Day weekend and I am laboring. Writing is not so hard, but sitting in the chair is. Apparently other writers thought that writing was difficult. Here are a few examples:

"Let's face it, writing is hell." - William Styron

"Writing is easy. All you do is stare at a blank sheet of paper until drops of blood form on your forehead."
- Gene Fowler

"There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed." - Ernest Hemingway

"Writing is a dreadful labor, yet not so dreadful as Idleness." - Thomas Carlyle

Since I don’t think writing is too awfully hard, it probably means I am a mediocre writer. That’s okay, I’d rather be an ordinary writer and still bask in the pleasure it brings me. If I ever get so good that I feel like I am hemorrhaging, go ahead and cauterize my brain.

No comments:

Post a Comment