Friday, October 22, 2010

Phone Management

"The free-lance writer is a man who is paid per piece or per word or perhaps." - Robert Benchley

Interruptions are the writer’s bane. I can create plenty of interruptions on my own; these don’t seem to fire me up. But when I am in a writing groove, a ringing phone or door-to-door solicitors can make me think about having a shot of bourbon at ten in the morning. Who would have guessed that evangelicals would find me in the middle of nowhere? Since my desk sits next to a window overlooking the front steps, I can’t pretend I am not here. I am polite but firm with everyone who knocks on my door. It is reasonable to smile and ask them to never come back.

The phone is another matter. I am clear about this—I am under no obligation to pick up the phone just because it rings.  When I worked at an office, drawing a paycheck from someone else, I didn’t chat on the phone. I only took urgent calls from my family.  So, why should I answer calls when I am writing at home? This is where I make my money, so why would I let phone interruptions interfere with my livelihood?

I monitor my calls. There are a lot more now that we are closer to the elections. Any call that pops up “private number” or “toll-free number” is not answered.

As for the sound of the phone ringing, I pretend that it is a sacred bell, calling me to be mindful. I breathe and smile three times, grateful that I am not talking to a telemarketer.

No comments:

Post a Comment