Saturday, December 11, 2010

Revisions


I'm not a very good writer, but I'm an excellent rewriter.” -  James Michener

I was talking to another writer about writing (what else do writers talk about?). She told me she likes to write, but she loathes revising. I am the opposite. I fall in the Anne Lamott camp of writing – I write shitty first drafts. Rewriting isn’t always fun, but it is so rewarding to watch everything come together. It’s like making a quilt. The first draft is like a bunch of cut up pieces of fabric. The revision is like putting the quilt together, watching all those words magically coming together.

1 comment:

  1. Very nice analogy, Lucinda. My wife's a quilter. She does beautiful work. On the other hand, when it comes to revisions, I'm afraid, I'm a bit of a quitter.

    Your words have inspired...

    ReplyDelete