Saturday, February 4, 2012

My Essential Writing Tools


Consistency of practice is the mark of a master. 
- George Leonard, “Mastery”

The tools I need to write are more than paper, pen, and computer. In order to put in a productive day of writing, I need a good night’s sleep, exercise, and meditation. It also helps to have a schedule, which helps me know when to write. For instance, on days that I have blocked out writing times, I know I will write. It is as if a switch goes on, telling me what to do.

It takes a lot of tools and effort to keep me propped up in front of a computer. However, if I skip meditation, exercise, or sleep, I am useless. These practices make me a more efficient writer, and they keep me alive. I write better, when I am alive.

P.S. It also helps to have a good book and some poetry. Reading can unlock the creative process.

No comments:

Post a Comment