Thursday, November 12, 2009

In Praise of Criticism

"To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing." - Elbert Hubbard

Last night was open read at this month's meeting of Sierra Writers. An open read is the chance for writers to hear their work critiqued in a safe, anonymous venue. There were a few new faces along with some excellent writing. However, it was the quality of the critiquing that stood out.

Good criticism is what keeps me from making a fool out of myself. I think I am a mediocre writer. However, I am a good, undefended listener, willing to take criticism. This transformative process turns my words into something better than I could have done on my own.

I collect good critics like some collect jewels. I think critics are worth more.

2 comments:

  1. When I was in Hollywood, agents often told me my script was good, but it wasn't their "cup of tea." That told me nothing. I appreciated the agent who told me, "Your plot is predictable, your characters are unsympathetic and your diaglog is trite." That gave me something to work with!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen Lucy and amen Tom!

    Kinney

    ReplyDelete