Saturday, June 19, 2010

Seeking Balance

The feature article of the May/June issue of Writer's Digest is "101 Best Websites for Writers." Normally I would welcome this information, but not now; I am over-saturated with technology and the non-creative side of writing. The last few weeks have been devoted to my publishing contract, filling in details for the marketing department, finding a photographer, revisions and non-book related writing. Plus my book, although important to me, does not satisfy my prose needs. So, this week I ordered five more Mary Oliver books, and pre-ordered her next one (due in September). Her words keep me in the center of what it means to be alive and to be a writer.

I will file away this issue of Writer's Digest for future reference. If I need a diversion, I can check out creativewritingprompts.com. For now, I am shunning diversions - I need focus and equilibrium. Apparently, I am not alone in my quest for balance, and equally apparent is that the Internet is not the only distraction. Euripides wrote about it in 400 BC. He must have been a writer. I wonder how he would have survived our cyber-world.

"The best and safest thing is to keep a balance in your life, acknowledge the great powers around us and in us. If you can do that, and live that way, you are really a wise man."  Euripides (484 BC - 406 BC)

No comments:

Post a Comment