Monday, June 7, 2010

More True Confessions

I love my computer solitaire. I could, without thinking for half a second, tell you about a half dozen writers I know who are completely addicted. Computer solitaire—it’s the dirty little secret of the literary world.” - Francine Prose, Reading Like a Writer

Oh thank goodness for the brave writers who tell the truth. Last month I told you about pajamas. This week, it is computer solitaire. Actually, the earth shattering news is not that I play it, rather than the fact that I had to give it up. It was becoming an obsession; I couldn’t quit unless I won. It was digging into my sleep and I was waking up late, a bit listless. I gave it up last year by actually REMOVING the program from my computer. It was the only way. I didn’t go through any withdrawal.

Every once in awhile, I find myself sitting at my husband’s computer, moving cards around on the screen…

2 comments:

  1. The first step is admitting you have the problem. Mine is with Facebook. Man oh man, I waste a lot of time arguing with people whose viewpoint is of little consequence! Must apply more discipline.

    Continued good luck with your efforts to break the curse of computer solitaire!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now there's something called 'Brain Train'. That, too, is addicting. Why do I need to train my brain? I got to age 63 (almost 64) and maybe my brain is trained enough for now. I read a lot, do plenty of math and problem solving. But, I find myself mapping birds while remembering letters and guessing which bird the letters are spelling; trying to trick monsters in 'monster garden,' and other such mundane training tasks. Will it help me now??? Go play solitare. It may well be less frustrating!

    ReplyDelete