Monday, May 31, 2010

Memorial Day

I am in utter awe of the men and women who are serving or have served our country. Although I am fundamentally against war, I honor the memory of those who gave their lives. It was easy to oppose the wars in Vietnam and the Middle East. I don’t know how I would have felt about war if I had lived during the Civil War or WWII. It’s easy to be a pacifist when there isn’t a gun at my head.

My grandfather fought in WWI. My mother had flowers placed on his grave every Memorial Day. Now that she is gone, it is my privilege to honor this tradition. I called the florist in Pennsylvania, and made the arrangements. What amazes me about this is that I am honoring a man who fought in a war that happened nearly 100 years ago. It’s amazing to think that I knew someone who had fought in WWI. I recall my father saying that he talked to someone who had lived during the Civil War. To think that we can still touch history – now that is truly remarkable.

We write to remember, because if we don’t, we will lose these connections.

Memorial Day
spilled blood gone from the fields
poppies bow their heads

No comments:

Post a Comment