Saturday, May 1, 2010

Dangling Conversations

Writing, when properly managed…is but a different name for conversation.” – Laurence Sterne, 18th century novelist

I suppose that if Mr. Sterne were alive today, he’d be blogging. Blogging has more of a sense of a conversation, particularly when I receive comments. I do appreciate them, and although I don’t usually reply to each, I am thrilled to receive them.

On my last post, I received a comment which prompted me to check out the blog of one of my followers. (Gee whiz – “one of my followers” sounds kind of creepy – like I am a cult leader or he is a stalker. Perhaps “reader” is a better description.) Anyway, he has a wonderful blog, and this is where the “conversation” really begins. By reading his blog, I got a sense of who might read something I wrote. I mean someone I don’t know, someone who isn’t a friend, and has no need to be kind. Someone who is busy too and yet takes a moment to read something I crafted.

Sure seems like a huge responsibility. Yes, writing must be properly managed or there will be no conversation.

Thank you for reading my blog. Thank you even more for responding.

If you have a moment, check out his blog The Church of the Open Road

1 comment:

  1. I used to teach my grade-schoolers that when we read, we actually hold a conversation with the author. We ask him or her questions, seek clarification and we exclaim when we are excited or disappointed in the actions of a character.

    With a blog, we actually DO get to hold that conversation with the author. Like you, I wish more folks would comment so the rich conversations could carry forward.

    ReplyDelete