Sunday, April 25, 2010

Sabbath Time

 "Beware the barrenness of a busy life." - Socrates

When I was a child, Sundays were a day of rest, for everyone except my mother. She'd get up early to prepare Sunday dinner, because by the time we got home from church, there was very little time to pull everything together. Sunday dinners were feasts.

These days, I still honor the concept of the Sabbath. I may still spend some time writing, but it is usually writing for my soul. Or, in this case, blogging for my soul. In 2010, time off has a different meaning. The question is, should it? Between email, cell phones, surfing the Web, the news, blogs, Twitter, and Facebook, I feel entirely too connected.

There is a fantastic article by Anne Lamott in the April 2010 Sunset. She writes, "Multitasking can argue a wasted life." She urges readers to, "Fight tooth and nail to find time, to make it. It is our true wealth, this moment, this hour, this day."

One of the Ten Commandments is, remember the Sabbath and keep it holy. For me, checking my email is not holy. Blogging is. We get to decide what is holy. We also get to decide when and how we are going to care for ourselves. The most important part is that it restores us so we can face the rest of the week. I also think that time off makes me a better writer.

1 comment:

  1. I, too, saw the Anne Lamott commentary in the April issue of Sunset. Thought it was a bit odd, initially, that it would be in that publication. Then, I was simply glad it found light in a magazine so widely read by others. Her thoughts were not about writing. They were about life, which is something perhaps far more universal than what we do except on our best days. Glad you picked up on it. Your quote of Ms. Lamott is timely. Excellent! Thanks.

    And thanks for the comments YOU share in your blog. I look forward to your insight and wisdom.

    ReplyDelete