Thursday, April 8, 2010

Making Origami out of the Paperwork

"I love being a writer, what I can't stand is the paperwork." - Peter De Vries

Some days, writing feels like 90% paperwork and 10% creativity. Then there are days like today when it is all paperwork. My editor and friend at the Hepatitis C Support Project mentioned something about annually updating the patient pamphlets I’ve written. Innocently, I offered to make a log of these to remind me of the anniversary dates. What was I thinking!!! I’ve written about 100 of these. Just doing an Excel spreadsheet took me an hour.

I had a little talk with my protesting self. “There, there,” I said. “There are worse things you could be doing with your time. I’ll make you a hot cup of chai, put on some jazz, and after you are done, you can turn this all into a blog.”  As it rained down on my beautiful Grass Valley view, I hummed away, content and honored to be a writer.

No comments:

Post a Comment