Saturday, April 17, 2010

Polishing Our Craft

"To write something, you have to risk making a fool of yourself." - Anne Rice

This month our writer's group held an open read for the public. This is an opportunity for writers to bring in their work. It is submitted anonymously and critiqued by everyone. For new writers, it takes more courage than one can imagine. The work was of very high caliber, so we were treated to excellent writing.

The critique process is a vital part of being a writer. Without it, my work would look like an unpolished stone. The feedback can turn a rock into a sparkling gem.  At first, I felt tumbled about, like a rock in a washing machine. Now it feels more like a vigorous massage. I am grateful it doesn't cause my stomach to churn - just my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment