Saturday, October 22, 2011

My Affair with TED


Writing is a socially acceptable form of schizophrenia. ~ E. L. Doctorow

When talking to the dog, my husband referred to me as “Our Lady of the Perpetual Computer.” This simple statement speaks volumes. First, it points out where I spend the bulk of my life. Second, it strongly hints that my husband grew up as a Catholic. And finally, it appears that my incessant attention to the computer leaves the dog as the only able-bodied being in our household left for conversation.

My reliance on the computer leaves me feeling schizophrenic. It is both a necessary tool and a distraction. This morning I was looking up a quote and moments later, I was watching TED videos. (If you don’t know what TED is, I don’t know if I am conferring a blessing or a curse by telling you about it. TED is amazing, but very distracting.)

Writing demands complete faithfulness to its craft, a faithfulness I willingly betray on a regular basis. I guess you can say I am having an affair with TED.

1 comment:

  1. Re: TED

    Same way I feel, Lucinda. Exactly the same way.

    ReplyDelete