Friday, October 16, 2009

Life's Punctuations

When asked how he spent his day writing, Oscar Wilde replied, "I spent the morning putting in a comma and in the afternoon taking out the comma." Yesterday was a day of punctuations. Instead of wordsmithing, I played comma cop. Basically, I reorganized the research for my book, making punctuation and font changes so that when I cut and paste, there is consistency. Although it wasn't much fun, it left me with a feeling of being a bit more organized.

Writing mirrors life. Just as in life there are activities we'd rather not be doing, such as filling out tax returns and getting colonoscopies, they have to be done. These activities are part of being alive. It's the same with writing. Proofreading and changing the ink in the printer are part of writing. And unless you are e e cummings, punctuations are part of the package.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Lucinda. I'm loving your observations and suggestions. I just ran across one that may help my writing when too much has been said.

    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing."

    -- Robert Benchle

    ReplyDelete